Title: Animal Health Care Worker
Type: Full-time, temporary (May-September)
Number of positions available: 1
Salary: $18/ Hour
Location: Powell River, BC
The Powell River Orphaned Wildlife Society (PROWLS) is a non-profit organization of volunteers who are committed to the rescue, rehabilitation and release of wild animals in our region. In 2020, PROWLS took in over 460 patients, including songbirds, raptors, small mammals (Douglas squirrels and hares), and other mammals, such as fawns, raccoons, bear cubs and bobcats.
The Animal Health Care Worker will be working at PROWLS five days a week with two consecutive days off (Monday and Tuesday). Each shift will be 1pm-9pm with an hour-long break. The applicant who receives this position will be working with the senior rehabilitator, obtaining hands-on experiences with wildlife and providing care for each patient.
This position is best suited for someone who can work long hours in a busy environment and understands that animal care can be both physically and mentally demanding.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Preparing food specific to each species and needs.
- Keeping a daily record for each patient and record accurate new patient information.
- Maintaining and following safety protocol for each species.
- Working with the senior rehabilitator to asses and treat ill and injured animals.
- Provide each animal an enriching environment.
- Maintaining cleanliness, ie. Cleaning cages, laundry, facility upkeep (indoor/outdoor)
- Working with other rehabilitators to rescue and release animals.
- Answer calls and work with the general public in a professional way.
- Providing each patient with compassion and respectful care.
- Adhering to COVID-19 protocols.
- Must be under 30 years old (minimum age is 18).
- Have previous animal experience.
- Must be a Canadian citizen or have permanent resident status.
- Must be reasonably fit as this job includes some heavy lifting and strenuous rescues on occasion.
- Be able to work independently or as a team with other rehabilitators and volunteers.
- Must have a mode of transportation, a valid driver’s licence is recommended but not required.
How to apply:
Email us directly at email@example.com
Please provide a resume, and at least one reference.
After the initial screening of each applicant, an interview may be conducted via Zoom.